Productive Parenting HomeActivitiesFree MembershipAbout UsJoinLog InContact UsParenting LinksFacebookBlog Home

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Mom Feature: Meet Amanda

Meet Amanda Yocum.


Hi, I'm Amanda. I'm a 31-year-old, stay-at-home mom who loves to sew, cook, and relax with family and friends. My husband and I have been together for 10 years and married for seven. We met at Baylor University.

We have two boys - James is 2 1/2 and Patrick is 9 months. I was a third grade teacher and loved it, but being a mother and wife is my passion.

In all my free time (yeah, right), I write a blog: My Mommies Favorite Finds. I started writing this blog for my friends, so that I didn't have to email them 1,000 times a day about my favorite finds.

I am a busy stay-at-home mom, and I would not change it for the world!

When do you feel like you're doing your best job as a mom?

When I can see my children learning, using good manners and giving hugs and kisses. When stress has not come over me. At the end of the day when they are safe tucked in their bed with smiles.

I try not to say no without a reason, like why say no to rolling down the car window or why not eat your snack in a the den on the floor and have your food in a toy truck?  Or why not drink your milk with a silly straw? I like the silly.

You knew this one was coming... when do you feel like you're doing your worst job?

When I have said "yes" to everything but my family. I have a hard time saying no, if it is sewing, Facebook, watching TV, helping friends or family.

I feel like I'm doing my worst job as a mom when at the end of the day, I think, "hmmm... I should have played on the floor more or closed the laptop."

What surprised you the most about motherhood?

The instant love that I had for my children - and now understanding the love my parents have for me. I was also surprised at what hard work it is to be a stay-at-home mom. I was not warned about the 2.5/3 year-old age -  wow it is a doozy!

What is your go-to activity when kids are melting down around you?

We love playing with uncooked rice and noodles, going in the backyard and playing with the hose, playing in the water/sand table. Patrick loves using his walker outside and loves to watch James do anything and everything. And, to be totally honest, when all else fails, I turn on Yo Gabba Gabba.

What have your children taught you?

Patience. Unconditional love no matter what I look like, no matter how horrible my singing voice.... And they think I am beautiful and hysterical, ha!! They remind me to laugh.

What will you miss the most about these years with young children?

I will miss the "nuggle nuggle" snuggles, the way they look at their daddy, the "hold you, hold you" "prayers one more time" the giggle monsters, morning cartoon time in the "big bed".

You can follow Amanda and her family on her blog: http://mymommiesfavoritefinds-yocumotion.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...