Productive Parenting HomeActivitiesFree MembershipAbout UsJoinLog InContact UsParenting LinksFacebookBlog Home

Monday, June 13, 2011

The Perfect Toy for Children of All Ages

Ever since my oldest child became mobile, I began the search for the perfect toy. You know the one I mean? The one that would consume him. That would occupy his attention for hours at a time. The toy that he would want to play with on his own -while I did whatever I wanted. Read a book, check email, call my friends, clean the kitchen, make dinner, fold laundry...

I thought it was the ball popper. Then I thought it was the train table and wooden train set. Then I thought it was the kitchen or maybe the plastic washer and dryer. Or maybe it was the janitor set or the dump truck or that great USA puzzle.

Three and a half years (and two more kids) later, I have finally found the perfect toy. It's guaranteed to keep them busy for hours. It occupies their attention. They want to play with it all the time.


It's me.

All these kids want is for me to listen to them, snuggle with them, play with them, talk to them. Every toy becomes the perfect toy when I'm playing too (and sometimes stays the perfect toy for awhile after I'm finished playing). They want to know that I hear them. They want me to call them silly and tickle their toes and host dance parties in the kitchen after naps. They want me to sit down at the table and eat lunch with them and pull them around in the wagon and draw on the sidewalk with them.

So my search for the perfect toy is over - I'm here - let the fun begin.

Anna Luther, mom of three

3 comments:

  1. Its really all they want is your time and attention cause you are their world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes wish that my baby could be like one of those clingy monkeys so she could hold on to me and I'd have two free hands instead of the other way around (she's super cranky now because of teething), but it's worth it. I'd rather eat at 9 p.m. and have a happy baby!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...