Productive Parenting HomeActivitiesFree MembershipAbout UsJoinLog InContact UsParenting LinksFacebookBlog Home

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Mom Feature: Meet Melissa

Meet Melissa


I am a stay at home mom of 5, and I have a blog where I like to share experiences of bringing out the charm and potential in our homes and families - with a bit of nonsense and good deals scattered here and there.

I'm so NOT a professional decorator/designer, but I love to look at possibilities of what can "become" with limited time and money.

When do you feel like you're doing your best job as a mom?
When I really listen to them and watch them and enjoy them, and I realize what amazing spirits we have been blessed with.

You knew this one was coming... when do you feel like you're doing your worst job?
When we're rushing or frantic or going from one thing to the next without down time... when I've over-scheduled them or myself and we don't have time to just "be."

What surprised you the most about motherhood?
How tiring it is. I remember when I was younger being down in my room reading a book before bed, and my mom coming down and laying down next to me and saying, "I would love to be curled up in bed with a good book right now.." and I would wonder why she didn't just go get in bed and read??? Now I'm her and understand... I have miles to go before I sleep.

What is your go-to activity when you know a meltdown is coming?

Distraction: look at that dog over there. Do you think he can go to the bathroom on the toilet? Naaaahhhhh. (We're potty training right now and this always seems to get their mind off of whatever...) And get the heck out of there if you can...

What have your children taught you?
Oh goodness....everything? I love to just stand back and try to see things through their eyes. How they stop and look at things and notice the caterpillar on the tree and the orange bridge and the dog in the car. How they can laugh so much during a day. How they can be so mad at you and then in 15 minutes forget all about it. How they can be so fascinated with balloons or a pile of ants. I love the magic and joy they can find in life. There is a reason Jesus brought a little child forward to show what we need to be more like.

What will you miss the most about these years with young children?
Everything. I really will. Okay, except maybe the diapers and all of the laundry and the arguments between them. My oldest is 11 and my youngest is 2, and I'm already trying to absorb and record because it's already just flying by. I look at our rocking chair and wonder how much longer I'll be able to rock my baby, and I can just get choked up about it. I love being a mom.

You can follow Melissa and her family on her blog: 320 Sycamore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...