Productive Parenting HomeActivitiesFree MembershipAbout UsJoinLog InContact UsParenting LinksFacebookBlog Home

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mom Feature: Meet Ginger

Meet Ginger



Hi! I'm Ginger. I'm a wife, mother to 5, sister, daughter and friend. I've been blogging for four years, and I love keeping a journal of our family. I recently started my own craft blog, Ginger Snap Crafts. I love to blog, decorate, garden, create and, most of all, be with my family.

When do you feel like you're doing your best job as a mom?
I feel like I'm doing the best when I see my children give a talk in church, play in their band concert at school, receive awards at Scouts, Cub Scouts or school, being kind to their siblings, making good choices, being kind to a friend, helping unload the groceries, doing their chores without having to be asked, singing in a school program. It's times like this that I think, "Yes, we're doing a pretty good job with these kiddos."

You knew this one was coming... when do you feel like you're doing your worst job?
Ummmm...when we are running late to an activity, and we are all getting grouchy, can't find our shoes....it's times like this I just have to remind myself it's OK if we are late, take a deep breath and calm down. Another not fun mom moment is fighting in the car. Drives me crazy. Again, I take deep breaths and try not to get upset. :)

What surprised you the most about motherhood?
How much I would love and enjoy my children. How much my life would change. How much I would love being a mom. How little sleep I would get. :)

What is your go-to activity when you know a meltdown is coming?
It depends on the child. For my younger ones, I'll wrap them up in their blankie and rock them. For my older ones, I usually send them to their room, and then have them come back when their happy. It usually doesn't take too long.

What have your children taught you?
How to love, how to have fun, how to laugh and enjoy life.

What will you miss the most about these years with young children?
I'll miss the cuddles, the kisses, being their whole world, being able to fix all their problems and the time being together with just our little family.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?
This is my favorite quote on motherhood. I have it posted at the top of our family blog, and I read it just about everyday. I reminds me to treasure every single moment of being a mother and not rush from one thing to the next.

Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).

You can follow Ginger and her family at her blog: http://gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...